Friday, January 19, 2007

The Infrastructure of Learning

It didn't take long to learn that going back to school means more than just buying books, reading them, and going to class. After three days, Wife began to express her displeasure about the fifteen or so books of various shapes and sizes that were taking over our den/living room. As well, it became clear to me that the dining room table would not be an acceptable substitute for the campus library. Although we live a mere seven minute drive from the campus, the logistical challenges are barely worth the trouble.

So, I began to understand that what I needed was a study center; an area to hold my textbooks, notepads, pens/pencils and ancillary equipment, computer and printer, and a place to study in relative tranquility, far enough from the telephone, televisions, and kitchen to allow for a modicum of concentration.

It only took two days to achieve. A nifty glass desk, with adjoining tower to hold computer gear, a cheap wooden bookcase, and few desktop devices to assist in the maintenance of order, and about 18 hours of hard physical labor as I moved "stuff" from the spare bedroom to the backyard shed. Of course, I needed to clean out and organize the shed, which took a day. Then the reorganization of the room. Followed by the assembly of desk, tower, and bookcase, which was a daunting challenge for this "less than handy" fellow. But, after two days of dreary work, I have established the learning center, the nook, the launching pad for my new academic adventure.

Now, to rebuild those study habits.......